Protest: Just say no to Dorries’ abstinence education bill!
On 20 January 2012, Nadine Dorries’ proposed amendment to sex education, Bill 185, which suggests GIRLS be taught abstinence, is due to get a second reading in parliament. Slut Means Speak Up will be speaking at this planned protest against the bill, together with Women Against Rape and Black Women’s Rape Action Project, who were involved in organising SlutWalk last June.
We will be at this protest because we know that abstinence-only sex education will be incredibly harmful to rape survivors. We know that the girls being taught to ‘just say no’ in school will become the women being accused of not saying ‘no’ loudly enough when they were raped. We know that the girls taught that sex must remain an unspoken subject will become the rape survivors who are too ashamed to share their experiences and find healing. We know that the girls being taught that there is no such thing as consensual sex will become the women who are unable to recognise, report and fight against rape.
UPDATE 20/01 - The bill has been withdrawn! Thank you so much to everyone who came to the protest.
- thoughtsofdrwtbee reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- brod-ie liked this
- cancervantes reblogged this from slutwalksignideas
- cancervantes liked this
- chroniccheesylust reblogged this from iamfeminist
- iamfeminist reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- goatcoat liked this
- xmaryxmoox reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- pooscy reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- missinternet2012 reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- slutwalksignideas reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- 8417ox liked this
- sailorstories liked this
- slutmeansspeakup posted this
Donate to SlutWalk London 2012! We still need over £2,000 for a PA system, permits, stage etc.
A film against rape We are making a self-help film about rape which educates us instead of telling us to be ashamed.
SlutWalk London 2012!
Sheila Farmer's prosecution dropped
Photos: Tom Radenz and Claire Butler