You are all invited to SlutWalk London 2012!
THE RADICAL NOTION THAT NOBODY DESERVES TO BE RAPED
MEET 12.30 at Top of Piccadilly. SET OFF at 1.30pm.
Saturday 22nd September 2012
Route: Piccadilly > Piccadilly Circus > Haymarket > Pall Mall East > Trafalgar Square
March Ends: 2.30pm at Trafalgar Square; anyone who cannot make the march can meet us there for the rally!
Estimated Marching Time: 1-1 and a half hours.
March Length: 0.8 miles
Rally: There will be a rally in Trafalgar Square with speakers, which will take about 1-1 and a half hours. The rally will definitely be finished by 5pm when we have to leave the square; anyone booking coaches should keep this time in mind as while the rally is likely to be over by 3.30-4pm, we can’t predict everything.
Toilets: Public toilets at Green Park Tube Station, in Green Park, in Piccadilly Circus tube station and in Trafalgar Square. Only the Trafalgar Square toilets have wheelchair access.
Accessibility: There are no steps on the route, however it goes uphill at Piccadilly and downhill at Haymarket. There is a lift at Trafalgar Square which is suitable for wheelchairs.
Parking: Please note - there will be limited vehicle access to Trafalgar Square and the route area. We cannot guarantee nearby parking.
Seating: There will be seating areas at the sides of the stage.
Last year a Toronto policeman told a group of law students that in order to avoid being raped ‘women should avoid dressing like sluts’.
Sadly there are many people who share this attitude. Women are constantly made to feel like they are to blame: told they should not look a certain way, should not go out at night, should not get drunk, should not wear high heels or make up or should not be alone with someone they don’t know. Not only does this divert attention away from the real cause of the crime - the rapist - but it creates a culture where rape is OK, where it’s allowed to happen… after all, she must have been asking for it, right?
NO. Let’s raise our voices and tell the world that rape is never, ever OK.
Not if she was wearing a miniskirt or a veil. Not if she was naked. Not if she was drunk. Not if she was your wife, girlfriend, daughter or friend. Not if she was under 16 or a pensioner. Not if she was a woman of colour, an immigrant or claiming asylum. Not if she was a sex worker or in trouble with the law. Not if she was queer or trans. Not if she had mental or physical disabilities. Not if the victim was male.
We are tired of who we are, our sexuality and our choices being used as an excuse for rape. We want the freedom to love and live as we choose.
The only way to stop rape is to put the blame where it belongs – on the rapist, whether they were a stranger, partner, client, relative, colleague, friend, or someone in authority. This is the duty of the police and courts, but instead of protecting us they are denying survivors of rape justice and allowing rapists to continue. Women searching for justice and safety from their attackers are faced with biased police, Crown Prosecution Service and judges who question what women did to deserve or provoke rape, our sexual or medical history, our occupation, our right to be in the UK… no wonder only 7 out of every 100 reported rapes end in a conviction.
So let’s turn up and take a stand. Everyone is welcome - all genders (men included!), races, religions, ages and sexualities. Bring friends, family and banners, and come along feeling beautiful, ready to show the world that we are proud of our sexuality and that there is never any excuse for rape.
~~~~How you can help~~~~
Why are you marching? We need as many people as possible to speak out against the excuses that are made for rape. Tell us why you are marching with us on the 22nd and we will publish it on our website. Email us your story at [email protected]
We still need some money to cover the costs of the PA system, banner material, jackets for stewards etc. We would be very grateful for any donations. You can donate here - http://bit.ly/slutwalk2012donate
We are looking for stewards to assist on the day of the march. If you would like to help out please get in touch with us at [email protected]
- project-babe reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- lighterheadlovely liked this
- enmieim reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- enmieim liked this
- stoopernatural reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- llammasinhats reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- lisbon-petals reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- ithinkimgettingthefear liked this
- twinkletwinkle reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- laiq reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- laiq liked this
- bombaypotatoclub liked this
- watchthisspacenow reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- flooziefilms reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- loisthejellyfish reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- laurzisevil reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- crimevvaves reblogged this from a-cult
- a-cult reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- rudums-wee reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- kittenroo reblogged this from maja-stina
- k80m92 liked this
- ashtrayb reblogged this from grrrl-anachronism and added:
- lotw-26 liked this
- nursebounce reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- iamboogers liked this
- grrrl-anachronism reblogged this from blathwillburn and added:
- gingersnapdragonphotography reblogged this from maja-stina
- beautifulmania liked this
- ruthiselvis reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- my-sick-mind reblogged this from maja-stina
- rainbowweather reblogged this from blathwillburn
- melesmelesxvx reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- livelovelaughbecauseitsyou liked this
- synthetikexistence reblogged this from blathwillburn
- blathwillburn reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- sailorxvx liked this
- waywardopheliac reblogged this from maja-stina
- fabulouslytragic liked this
- coursdedormir liked this
- waywardopheliac liked this
- diddsdanni liked this
- toropiski reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- toropiski liked this
- idrinkdrownsoda liked this
- maja-stina reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- slutmeansspeakup posted this
SlutWalk London 2012 - Saturday 22nd September 2012, meet 12.30pm at Top of Piccadilly (near Hyde Park Corner).
Tell us you're coming on Facebook!
Donate to SlutWalk London 2012! We have raised £1358 and need another £500 to cover the costs of the PA system, banner material and jackets for stewards. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated already.
SlutWalk London 2012!
Sheila Farmer's prosecution dropped
Photos: Tom Radenz and Claire Butler