REBLOG AND SPREAD THE WORD: Slutwalk London!
Slutwalk London: The radical notion that nobody deserves to be raped.
On 24th January 2011, a Toronto policeman told a group of law students that in order to avoid being raped ‘women should avoid dressing like sluts’.
This sparked outrage around the globe, with sluts and allies from Chicago to Amsterdam standing up and saying that we have had ENOUGH of being victimised and labelled, speaking out for freedom, equality and fun and saying that nobody gets to tell us how to be women.
Not only was this a ridiculous and inaccurate statement (women wearing trousers get raped. So do women wearing tracksuits, t-shirts, jeans, jumpers, skiing jackets and burqas), it was incredibly damaging to women around the world, painting them as perpetrators - rather than victims - of a disgusting, violent crime. In addition, it completely erased the experiences of the millions of brave, strong women who have survived rape and sexual assault - painting them as human beings unworthy of respect.
Sadly, this is not a single, isolated incident. All over the world, women are constantly made to feel like victims, told they should not look a certain way, should not go out at night, should not go into certain areas, should not get drunk, should not wear high heels or make up, should not be alone with someone they don’t know. Not only does this divert attention away from the real cause of the crime - the perpetrator - but it creates a culture where rape is OK, where it’s allowed to happen… after all, she must have been asking for it, right?
NO. Let’s raise our voices and tell the world that rape is never, ever OK. Not if she was wearing a miniskirt. Not if she was naked. Not if she was your wife, girlfriend or friend. Not if she was a prostitute. Not if she was drunk. Not if you thought she wanted to.
Let’s end a culture of fear and victimisation. No means No - but rather than saying no, let’s say YES. Yes to wearing what you want, going where you want with who you want and being able to express your personal sexuality in whichever way you please. Yes to having a great time without being scared that every man you meet is going to assault you. Yes to love, fun and respect.
Slutwalk is coming to London!
So let’s turn up, give the world a message and have some fun! Meet at Trafalgar Square on Saturday 4th June at 1pm. Everyone is welcome - all genders, races, ages and sexualities. Bring friends and family, banners, food and instruments, and come along feeling beautiful, ready to show the world that SLUT is something to be proud of!
We are part of a global movement of Slutwalks
- shrinkingviolent liked this
- thatsexyblackchick liked this
- thatsexyblackchick reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- ninestories reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- ninestories liked this
- thatsexyblackchick reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- beardsleyjones liked this
- donghits reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- loveintheshadowsistheonlykind reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- slutwalk-katastrofe reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- minimal23 liked this
- greenhorne liked this
- carlykitty reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- philosophy-of-praxis reblogged this from hivemined- and added:
- rolor reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- moustachedmugss liked this
- thebeatdies reblogged this from dirtysquatter
- hivemined- reblogged this from boomvagynamite
- peachtulle liked this
- dirtywhrrrl reblogged this from inherhipstheresrevolutions
- slutwalkamsterdam liked this
- loveintheshadowsistheonlykind reblogged this from inherhipstheresrevolutions and added:
- ndelitamiranda liked this
- inssult liked this
- inherhipstheresrevolutions reblogged this from boomvagynamite
- boomvagynamite reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- typical-grrls reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- blownoutjoy liked this
- dirtysquatter reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- kissakerho reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- plainwhitetits reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- learntolikeit reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- rumregrets liked this
- sukeyyy reblogged this from rumregrets
- rumregrets reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- reign-of-love reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- anomieandthepanacea liked this
- intofireforever liked this
- the-abcs-of-life reblogged this from adailyriot
- historicality liked this
- transqueery liked this
- onmostsurfaces reblogged this from bitemebeautiful
- wonkywalk liked this
- bitemebeautiful reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- delaneymeeshelle reblogged this from mydreamsmydesires
- delaneymeeshelle liked this
- mydreamsmydesires reblogged this from adailyriot
- adailyriot reblogged this from iwaslisteningtotherain
- iwaslisteningtotherain reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- grrrlnoise reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
Donate to SlutWalk London 2012! We still need over £2,000 for a PA system, permits, stage etc.
A film against rape We are making a self-help film about rape which educates us instead of telling us to be ashamed.
SlutWalk London 2012!
Sheila Farmer's prosecution dropped
Photos: Tom Radenz and Claire Butler