After walking around West Hollywood Park and seeing young women holding signs that referenced their childhood rapes, it was difficult to think of a single reason why SlutWalk wasn’t important or meaningful and I felt my reservations about the movement sliding away. Speaking to attendees like Mandy Burgundy, a 34-year-old trans woman who is harassed daily because of her style of dress, or Lillian Behrendt, a 21-year-old who bravely admitted to being sexually assaulted three times, really put things into perspective. Behrendt actually wasn’t going to attend the event, but as she read more about it, it began to feel more personal.
“Every time I was raped, it felt like my fault,” Behrendt said. “When I was first raped at the age of eight, that was the conclusion that I came to, but no one said it was my fault. Because of the culture we live in, I knew instinctively to blame myself for what happened. Victim blaming in not acceptable, it doesn’t matter who the victim is. Slut shaming is not ok, all it does is support and perpetuate rape culture. I’m doing this for personal reasons. Maybe I don’t unanimously support the SlutWalk message, but this is a start for a lot of us.”"
- angstmuffin liked this
- rudums reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- indignant-hufflepuff liked this
- visceralsimulacrum reblogged this from brazenbitch
- aaathenaaa reblogged this from brazenbitch
- brazenbitch reblogged this from becauseiamawoman
- slutwalkberlin liked this
- many-worlds liked this
- gypsygirlwonder reblogged this from yesmeansyes and added:
- remnantsoflove reblogged this from yesmeansyes
- yesmeansyes reblogged this from becauseiamawoman
- missgingerlee liked this
- motheatenmusicalbrocade reblogged this from becauseiamawoman
- ladyvulpine reblogged this from becauseiamawoman
- becauseiamawoman reblogged this from femblr
- xthread liked this
- fuckmefeminist liked this
- femblr reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- pandaemonaeum liked this
- hanstew liked this
- bitemebeautiful liked this
- slutmeansspeakup reblogged this from slutwalkberlin
- slutwalkberlin posted this
Donate to SlutWalk London 2012! We still need over £2,000 for a PA system, permits, stage etc.
A film against rape We are making a self-help film about rape which educates us instead of telling us to be ashamed.
SlutWalk London 2012!
Sheila Farmer's prosecution dropped
Photos: Tom Radenz and Claire Butler